Want to see a movie on a rooftop?
Rooftop Films in New York – by Paloma Martinez (Collaborator)
With Rooftop Films is possible.
Rooftop Films is a New York based non-profit organisation whose mission is to engage diverse communities by showing independent movies in outdoor locations, producing new films. It’s a perfect plan for all seasons.
Rooftop also offers film and video equipment rentals throughout the year, as well as grants which help finance new independent film projects.
Rooftop work includes:
– Summer Series (festival of new, independent films in various outdoor locations).
– Rooftop Filmmakers’ Fund (grants for filmmakers).
– Rooftop Films Production Collective (collaborations between filmmakers).
– Rooftop Music ( live music at every Rooftop Films event).
– Tours / Curating (Rooftop at universities, museums, etc. in cities around the world).
– Equipment Rentals (low-cost production and exhibition for artists and non-profits).
– Education (collaborations with schools and youth media organizations to teach video).
– Rooftop Films Discussions (seminars with filmmakers).
In summer They usually do it in parks, roofs and outdoor venues. Perfect for summer nights, but in the meantime you can enjoy of new independent short and feature-length films for children and adults, in covered places.
For example in Factory Floor (Indutry City). On site you will find also Smorgasburg & Brooklyn Flea Market, in winter.
It’s hard to believe, but Rooftop Films has been showing films outdoors in New York City since 1997. Things have changed a lot since then, but in most ways we are still, at heart, the same hopeful and ambitious grassroots organization we were back then. Here is a brief history of the last 20 years on the roof.
About the author:
Follow her at:
Facebook: Caminando por Nueva York